According to the medical experts, brain tumor can be either malignant or benign type. It is rather considered to be the cell’s irregular and uncontrolled activity taking place in the cranial nerves, brain and pineal glands. The brain envelops as well as metastasizes the other organs. Those who are advised surgery to treat brain tumor are also prescribed to take steroids and drugs to help alleviate edema and pain. Usually, the patient is prescribed anticonvulsant medication to avoid or control convulsion. Using a shunt, it is necessary to drain cerebrospinal fluid if client suffers from hydrocephalus. The best neurosurgeon in gurgaon when contacted will ensure that the tumor in the brain is removed safely and the person enjoys a happy, satisfied life.
What does brain tumor treatment involve?
Generally, brain tumor treatment is said to involve chemotherapy, surgery and radiation therapy. However, treatment will vary depending upon several factors which involve tumor location, type, size, and overall health of the patient. But the treatment and program offered for children and adults varies. Radiation therapy or radiotherapy also called radiation oncology is considered to be a treatment to remove brain tumor safely. Radiation is used to stop the brain cells from getting further damaged. The process is used usually after surgery, if there is still found cancer cells which had not been removed while performing the surgery. Usually, the patient undergoes this procedure if surgery is viable at the moment.
Methods to give radiation therapy
Two methods are present to provide radiation therapy. The first one is implant radiation therapy, where there is placed radioactive substance right into the affected part. The radioactive substance implant may be permanent or temporary, which depends upon the substance that is used. For radiation therapy, the second method used is external radiation, where large machines are used.
One common technique used for treating brain tumor is surgical procedure. It is the neurosurgeon who performs this surgery. It is through the skull opening that the damaged brain cells gets removed, and termed as craniotomy.
In case, cancer cells within the brain is not removed with radiation therapy or surgery, then there is used a third method which is chemotherapy. The process involves using of multiple or single drugs, which is injected into the blood streams or muscles or taken orally. The drug infusion process in cerebrospinal fluid is termed intrathecal chemotherapy.
Brain tumor surgery types
Given below are some common brain tumor surgical remedies:
- Craniotomy: Through the surgical procedure, part of the skull is removed, to allow identifying and removing the tumor. Then, the removed part gets replaced after surgery.
- Biopsy: Surgical procedure is performed to eliminate tumor tissue sample.
- Debulking: Surgical procedure is conducted to diminish tumor size.
- Craniectomy: This is quite similar to that of craniotomy, with the only difference being that in this surgical remedy, the skull part that gets removed does not get replaced.
- Complete removal: Surgical procedure is conducted to remove whole tumor.
- Partial removal: Surgical procedure is conducted to eliminate just some portion of the tumor, because of neurological disorder risks.
- Ommaya reservoir: Under the scalp is inserted a small container, which is then connected to the tube. With the help of the container, it is possible to:
- Provide chemotherapy treatment to brain area, and the surrounding CSF (cerebrospinal fluid).
- Remove cystic fluid without requiring surgical remedy.
- Remove CSF for identifying healthy cell presence.
- Shunt: Drainage system insertion has been designed to allow moving of excess fluids to various body parts from the brain.
- Laser interstitial thermal therapeutic remedy: This minimal invasive procedure ablates tissues with heat. This remedy is also stated to be the safest and most efficient technique that is commonly prescribed to such patients. For recurrent or new metastatic or primary tumors developed anywhere within the brain, it is regarded to be minimal invasive procedure.
- Transsphenoidal surgery: Surgical procedure is conducted to operate on craniopharyngiomas and pituitary adenomas.
- Skull based surgery: This is rather a specialized technique used to remove tumors.
Recovery time period
After the surgery is completed, the recovery period depends upon the following:
- Patient’s overall health and age
- Areas that are affected by surgery.
- Tumor location in the brain
- Entire operation performed.
The best neurosurgeon in gurgaon is sure to be consulted before going ahead with the surgical remedy.