We all know and understand the importance of regular dental examinations, which enables the dentist to assess our oral health, yet there are times when emergency treatment is needed. In this article, we will outline a few of the dental conditions that would require immediate treatment.
- Severe Toothache – If you are in a lot of pain, take some over-the-counter mediation and make an appointment to see your dentist as soon as it is possible. It is essential that you have an immediate professional diagnosis, and in some cases, the dentist will not treat the patient until the pain subsides.
- Loose Tooth – As an adult, you should never have a loose tooth and if you do, then something is obviously wrong and you should make an emergency appointment to see a local dentist. Finding an emergency dentist on the Gold Coast is simple enough with a Google search. It might be due to a sporting collision or a fall, or it could be due to an infection. While dentists do not operate outside of regular office hours, some dental clinics hold appointment slots back, specifically for emergency situations, so you should be able to find a dentist that would see you.
- Bleeding Gums – Bleeding gums can be an early sign of gum disease or gingivitis and if you notice blood when brushing or flossing, make an appointment to see your local dentist. The dentist can quickly discover the cause of the bleeding and recommend immediate treatment.
- Swollen Jaw – If your jaw is inflamed, this could indicate a severe gum infection and if this is accompanied by a bad taste in your mouth, then you should not delay in seeing a dentist. Difficulty in swallowing is another sign of an infection and this is usually painful, especially to the touch.
- Dental Abscess – This is a very painful condition that needs to be treated ASAP, which is usually caused by a bad cavity that has not been treated, which allows the infection to spread to the gums. It is often necessary to perform surgery to drain out the puss and X-Rays will help the dentist assess the damage. If you are suffering from an abscess, there would be a lot of pain.
- Numbness – If an area of your gum becomes void of feeling, this could be due to the decay finally reaching the tooth nerves and this might result in root canal treatment, which can be both extensive and costly. The earlier you see a dentist, the less damage will be done and if you lose the feeling of any part of your mouth, make an emergency appointment with your dentist.
If you have recently relocated and do not yet have a dentist, this is something you should remedy, and making an introductory appointment will enable you to have a check-up. The worst thing you can do when in pain is to ignore it, as this is likely an issue that requires immediate treatment and the sooner you find out the cause, the better.