The oil presence on the scalp provides a layer of protection that is essential to keep the skin from losing moisture and drying. However, too much production of sebum can leave the scalp and hair greasy and contribute to outbreaks of dandruff.
With this, Malassezia, a fungus commonly associated with dandruff, thrives in oily areas of the scalp and can further aggravate dandruff symptoms. Oily scalps are a common problem, and it can be easily treated by using best medicated dandruff shampoo India which will take good care of your hair and scalp.
Causes of Oily Hair
- Too much Heat styling: Applying too much heat by regular use of blow dryers, straightening irons, and curling wands dry the hair out. It encourages sebaceous glands to produce more and more sebum, to make your hair oily.
- Tying your hair up too much: By keeping your hair tied up tight can cause the oil to build up on that one section of the scalp which will further give you unevenly oily hair.
- Using hot water: Using hot water while hair wash can stimulate sebaceous glands and encourages them to produce more sebum.
- Hormonal disturbance: Your hormonal levels may get disturbed due to certain medications or because of puberty, menopause, and stress which lead to the production of sebum on your scalp.
- Your natural hair type: Your natural hair type can determine the oil your hair carries like if you have fine hair, then the oil will get secreted by your scalp and hairs are not enough to absorb it.
- Skin conditions: Skin conditions like eczema, psoriasis, not only causes an oily scalp but also dandruff.
- Shampooing your hair daily: You may feel like shampooing your hair every day will reduce the oiliness on your hair, but actually, it will only encourage your scalp to produce more sebum to compensate for the oils that have been washed away by the shampoo.
- Vitamin B deficiency: Vitamin B plays an important role in the production and regulation of sebum levels. Not having enough vitamin B can lead to sebum levels go up and making your hair too oily.
Ways to Prevent Oily Hair
- Don’t brush your hair more than 2-3 times a day.
- Rinse your hair for at least 30 seconds after applying shampoo and conditioner. It is to ensure you’ve removed all product.
- Try to rinse your hair with cold water as it closes your hair cuticles and prevents sebaceous glands from producing more oil.
- Use sulfate-free shampoo and a lightweight conditioner to wash your hair.
- Avoid using hair products that contain silicones as they will coat your hair and attract dirt to it.
- Opt for lightweight sprays to add shine to your hair.
Good maintenance prevents dandruff from recurring. Use the Best shampoo for oily scalp and dandruff in India to wash your hair twice a week to prevent excess oil build-up. While treating Dandruff you should avoid using greasy or sticky products like styling gels, mousse and hair spray.