The answer to this question is very simple, a squat rack is designed for doing squat safely. However, the purpose of a squat rack is not just for squats, but also could be used to perform multiple types of exercises. This is why most of the experts recommend beginners to consider purchasing squat racks. Here are some of the common exercises that you could do using a squat rack.
- Overhead press
- Hanging leg raises
- Barbell lunges
- Back squats
- Knee raises
- 10.Bench pressing
- 11.Partial squats
- 12.Barbell bent over row
Getting started with a squat rack –
- Bar weight – squat racks usually come with a 4 feet Olympic weight bar, which could weight around 17 to 20 kgs. If you are a beginner, try doing squats with the bar alone and no weight. Always concentrate on keeping the bar at the bottom of your shoulder from the maximum result and avoid placing it at the base of your neck.
- Getting used to the bar – Unless you have experience in handling the bar or using it to workout, do not hurry to use the bar. Simple adding a lot of weight to your bar could make your shoulder sour. It is best recommended that you use a barbell squat pad while using the bar.
- Set your spotter right– Spotters are one of the best things in a good squat rack, however, if you do not use them in the right way. It could cause more harm than good. First, you should understand how to use spotters. Set the spotter in the right position and then check if they are locked in properly.
- Rack height – Make sure that the bar is set slightly below shoulder height. This means you could easily pick up and push up the bar with weight from underneath easily.
- Be progressive – When training most of the people focus on piling the weight simply without considering the consequences. However, you should consider increasing the weight gradually rather than increasing constantly. Always start with a smaller load and then slightly start increasing the load over time. After each cycle, take some rest and check if you have any sore on your body.
- Focus on your form – Doing squats with a lot of loads could be a disaster. Instead of increasing the weight, concentrate on posture and positioning. Always start with keeping the bar at the center and keep the feet wider than your hips. Always keep your spine straight and neck in-line to your back.
- Make sure the surrounding area is clear – Before using the squat rack, always keep your surroundings clean, do not install or mount the squat rack in a crowded place. Apart from keeping the surroundings free, you should also make sure that no one is near your bar.
- Wear good footwear – Never use a squat rack without wearing proper footwear. Remember, doing squats without a shoe or socks could harm your foot in the long run.
If you follow the instruction as mentioned above you could reap the maximum benefits of using a squat rack.